cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <>
Subject Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Cocoon's Rhino+continuations fork)
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:14:24 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Jeudi, 11 mars 2004, à 23:06 Europe/Zurich, Paul Russell a écrit :
>> On 10 Mar 2004, at 19:51, Steven Noels wrote:
>>> (OT for the non-ASF folks:) You seem to suggest that inclusion of
>>> non-ASL-licensed library dependencies inside ASF distributions
>>> should be deprecated, favoring a CPAN or FreeBSD ports -like
>>> mechanism instead. This will definitely lower the ease of use for
>>> end-users, which have been complaining already that we don't ship a
>>> binary distribution of Cocoon, let alone that we would ship a
>>> download which requires them to either hunt down additional packages
>>> themselves, or have an internet connection when installing Cocoon.
>> ... which brings me around to something I've been pondering for a
>> while. Since Cocoon is a bit of a 'hub' in the open source world, it
>> brings together a stack of external libraries. Including these in the
>> core source distribution is clunky and painful for everyone. Have we
>> considered using Maven or similar to help manage these dependancies?
> Sounds like the way to go, intelligently downloading dependencies from
> some non-ASF repository should solve most, maybe all of the licensing
> problems, and help make Cocoon more lightweight for many uses.
> IIRC last time this was discussed the debate quickly moved to a heated
> discussion on the relative merits of Maven and other similar tools -
> if we're going to discuss this again, we must be careful to focus on
> the goals rather than on the tools!
> -Bertrand

Yep, the discussion is not Maven yes or not but do we want to distribute
Cocoon as a complete package or not. I would prefer having a complete
distribution (as long as it is possible from a legal POV) because it
*is* easier for our users.

And instead of investing to much time in all those things we should make
CocoonBlocks become reality ASAP because they will solve those
dependencies very elgantly.

View raw message