cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Cocoon's Rhino+continuations fork)
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:14:24 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Jeudi, 11 mars 2004, à 23:06 Europe/Zurich, Paul Russell a écrit :
>
>> On 10 Mar 2004, at 19:51, Steven Noels wrote:
>>
>>> (OT for the non-ASF folks:) You seem to suggest that inclusion of
>>> non-ASL-licensed library dependencies inside ASF distributions
>>> should be deprecated, favoring a CPAN or FreeBSD ports -like
>>> mechanism instead. This will definitely lower the ease of use for
>>> end-users, which have been complaining already that we don't ship a
>>> binary distribution of Cocoon, let alone that we would ship a
>>> download which requires them to either hunt down additional packages
>>> themselves, or have an internet connection when installing Cocoon.
>>

>> ... which brings me around to something I've been pondering for a
>> while. Since Cocoon is a bit of a 'hub' in the open source world, it
>> brings together a stack of external libraries. Including these in the
>> core source distribution is clunky and painful for everyone. Have we
>> considered using Maven or similar to help manage these dependancies?
>

> Sounds like the way to go, intelligently downloading dependencies from
> some non-ASF repository should solve most, maybe all of the licensing
> problems, and help make Cocoon more lightweight for many uses.
>
> IIRC last time this was discussed the debate quickly moved to a heated
> discussion on the relative merits of Maven and other similar tools -
> if we're going to discuss this again, we must be careful to focus on
> the goals rather than on the tools!
>
> -Bertrand

Yep, the discussion is not Maven yes or not but do we want to distribute
Cocoon as a complete package or not. I would prefer having a complete
distribution (as long as it is possible from a legal POV) because it
*is* easier for our users.

And instead of investing to much time in all those things we should make
CocoonBlocks become reality ASAP because they will solve those
dependencies very elgantly.

--
Reinhard