cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ECM facility
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:10:55 GMT

[repost with correct recipient list]
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> I had a quick glance at your finder stuff but are absolutely clueless
> what I should do with it :) I guess from your description that if this
> finder is used inside Merlin I can use the ECM configuration files
> for defining my components. Is this right?

Sort of - the finder is just a privileged component running under (not
in) Merlin.  The main thing is that there is an ECM component that
declares a dependency on:

   (a) the finder component
   (b) a RoleManager component

Merlin will do what is necessary to startup the ECM component on demand.

> Is there any sample etc. that shows how to start Merlin including
> the finder?

Yep - its included in the /test directory.

First of all there is a block description which is supplied to merlin.
The block description declares the components that merlin should deploy.
In this scenario it includes the finder, a role manager (with a roles
configuration, and the ECM component with a master configuration.  The
block.xml can be found in /test/conf/block.xml.

There is a testcase the launches merlin using block.xml as the
definition of the application scenario.  The testcase does not currently
do much apart fro setting up the environment for doing a real test once
the implementation logic is put in place in under the ECM component.

Details for building are included in

    merlin/facilities/finder/README.txt

Initial documentation is available here:

    http://avalon.apache.org/finder/

And javadocs here:

    http://avalon.apache.org/finder/api/index.html

Cheers, Stephen.