cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Guido Casper <gcas...@s-und-n.de>
Subject Re: Experience with workflow at Hippo Webworks
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 20:30:59 GMT
Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
> A good implementation of work flow handling for Cocoon could be the most
> important piece of missing capability that can be added.  For the most
> part good work flow engines are expensive proprietary pieces of
> software.  If a generalized, open source, document handling framework
> included a 90% solution for work flow it could truly revolutionize many,
> many portions of the IT industry.  This isn't something that you just
> want to slap together.

My personal opinion of it is this (and the precondition of the following
is my assumption that Cocoon has no mechanism already in place that
would make up the perfect workflow engine):

There are a bunch of specialized open source workflow engines available.
See the list Johan posted earlier:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Workflow

If you need a fully featured workflow engine try to integrate one of
those. Some of them are specializing in building GUIs. I see more value
in doing so instead of inventing another one.

What I want (again just my personal opinion) is one readily available
that I can "just use" within Cocoon in a simple way. And I believe we
can put both of these behind the same interface.

That being said I am intersted in your opinion what a good
implementation might look like (and what all these other implementations
are lacking). I'm not interested in competing with all the other
projects (being more specialized in the topic) over the best workflow
engine available.

Guido