cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Removing Woody
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 19:56:39 GMT
Reinhard Pötz wrote:

> variant B: remove Woody after 2.1.6 release

+1

we give our users time, tools and help to show that we do want to keep
innovating, but we *do* care about long term stability.

Woody was an alpha block so we have all the rights in the world to
remove them under their feet, but since it was a very successful alpha
block (and for this reason is becoming the seed for the officially
supported Cocoon Forms framework), we make an effort to make the
transition as smooth as possible.

So:

  1) we created the Cocoon Forms block.

 From now on, CForms will indicate the content of that block. Woody will
indicate the content of the woody block that is scheduled to be
decommissioned.

  2) we created tools to ease the migration [we need to put some docs on
how to do this]

  3) we freeze the woody block (this forces development to happen in the
cforms block) now and forever. no changes are getting there. it's read
only and just for short legacy and migration purposes.

  4) we schedule to remove this after *two* releases, to give time to
everybody to adjust.

This should make everybody happy: it doesn't hurt to have a frozen
block, as long as everybody understands its status [so we need to
reflect this in both docs and samples!!]

WDYT?

--
Stefano.