cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Guido Casper <gcas...@s-und-n.de>
Subject Re: Experience with workflow at Hippo Webworks
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:51:35 GMT
Guido Casper wrote:
>>> The major drawback currently is that my AbstractState has to know
>>> about all the other states (to prevent each State class having to
>>> know about all the other states) and (when adding NewState) has to be
>>> updated with: allowEnterNewState(doc, user) {return false;}
>>>
>>> I have the gut felling that this may be solved  with some piece of
>>> AOP but I don't know enough about AOP and I currently don't care
>>> enough as this already satifisfies my needs.
>>>
>>> Of course any State object allowing transitioning to NewState has to
>>> be updated with the corresponding conditional logic (overriding
>>> allowEnterNewState). Each state has to know about other states it
>>> allows transitioning to and the conditional logic (if any) to do so.
>>

>> This sounds a bit overwhelming, there are too many dependencies to
>> account for and you end up with a very proprietary and not reusable code.
>

> What depencies do you mean? Actually I found changing workflow very easy
> and flexible as long as you don't come up with new states.

That being said, if I would find a way to synchronize the state objects
configured in my configuration file with the getAllowedXY Methods in my
AbstractState class I would be perfectly happy (although it doesn't hurt
me enough to further invest much time in looking for a solution for that).

Guido

--
Guido Casper
S&N AG, Competence Center Open Source