cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Turning off default MRU store
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:34:20 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>>> I have to add that this is not the whole story. We do actually need
>>> to distinguish between persistent and transient storage. Some
>>> components explicitly want to persist some data instead of just
>>> cache it for speed. But as far as caching is concerned I think it we
>>> can leave it completely up to JCS.
>>

>> Some components are explicitely using the transient-store to keep
>> data that shouldn't (or cannot) be serialized. But AFAIK, no
>> component directly uses the persistent-store except the store itself.
>>

> To my knowlegde there is one in eventcache block that uses the
> PersistentStore to persist some info it needs to recover upon next
> startup.
>
> It does not look to me as though JCS would fit the PersistentStore
> role very well. I was thinking that perhaps. We could have JCSStore as
> a replacement for TransientStore and Store roles and use
> FilesystemStore for the PersistentStore role.

Wait a minute.  The original issue that brought JCS to the front as that
the persistent store was broken and had license problems.  Are you
saying that JCS isn't a good candidate for persisting the cached info to
disk, or that the fact that it by default has an MRU memory front-end
makes it not map directly to persistent-store role cleanly?

The use of persistent store in eventcache shouldn't be a problem with
JCS as long as at shutdown, it persists everything it has in its MRU if
it hasn't already.  If there is some problem it would be much better to
just go back to the old serializing persistence for the event cache data
because the only benefit to putting it in the store is that you more or
less guaranteed that the events and cached responses would be kept together.

Geoff