cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: Turning off default MRU store
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:15:25 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Unico Hommes wrote:

>>> I guess I already got ahead of you when I renamed JCSPersistentStore
>>> JCSStore just now :-) (And merged it with the AbstractJCSStore BTW).
>>> It seems to me that JCS is both and it could replace all three
>>> stores: DefaultStore, TransientStore and PersistentStore.
>>>

>> I have to add that this is not the whole story. We do actually need
>> to distinguish between persistent and transient storage. Some
>> components explicitly want to persist some data instead of just cache
>> it for speed. But as far as caching is concerned I think it we can
>> leave it completely up to JCS.
>

> Some components are explicitely using the transient-store to keep data
> that shouldn't (or cannot) be serialized. But AFAIK, no component
> directly uses the persistent-store except the store itself.

To my knowlegde there is one in eventcache block that uses the
PersistentStore to persist some info it needs to recover upon next startup.

It does not look to me as though JCS would fit the PersistentStore role
very well. I was thinking that perhaps. We could have JCSStore as a
replacement for TransientStore and Store roles and use FilesystemStore
for the PersistentStore role.

> So if the JCSStore includes a MRU-like memory front-end, it can simply
> replace the <store> component in cocoon.xconf.

My thoughts exactly

Unico