cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Turning off default MRU store
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:57:36 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

>> Corin Moss wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I might be getting ahead of myself a bit here, but I'm going to try
>>> and turn off the default MRU store, in favour of the JCS based
>>> persistent store.  I'd like to try some tests on performance without
>>> the default MRU - has anyone else tried anything similar? I've
>>> simply set the core store's role to point to the JCS store
>>> implementation.
>>>

>> I guess I already got ahead of you when I renamed JCSPersistentStore
>> JCSStore just now :-) (And merged it with the AbstractJCSStore BTW).
>> It seems to me that JCS is both and it could replace all three
>> stores: DefaultStore, TransientStore and PersistentStore.
>>

> I have to add that this is not the whole story. We do actually need to
> distinguish between persistent and transient storage. Some components
> explicitly want to persist some data instead of just cache it for
> speed. But as far as caching is concerned I think it we can leave it
> completely up to JCS.

Some components are explicitely using the transient-store to keep data
that shouldn't (or cannot) be serialized. But AFAIK, no component
directly uses the persistent-store except the store itself.

So if the JCSStore includes a MRU-like memory front-end, it can simply
replace the <store> component in cocoon.xconf.

Sylvain