cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Instrumentation, anyone?
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:15:47 GMT
Thor Heinrichs-Wolpert wrote:

> XDoclet is a good generator, but the license is wrong for Apache.
> Using straight Introspection can and will expose things that you do not
> wish to allow users to alter on the fly.
>
> Unfortunately I'm completely snowed under until March 29th.  After that
> date I will get back to working on JMX for cocoon.  I suggested using
> the MX4J libraries as they are under an Apache license already, but
> haven't heard any thoughts here.

Well, looks like your much more JMX-savy than the rest of us, so I'll
happily leave you the driver seat. :-) I'm fine with MX4J, at least as a
starting point.

> We could use XML Descriptors that could be used to create dynamic
> MBeans.  As for generation, we could generate MBeans directly, or XML
> descriptors from comments in the code (a'la XDoclet), the downside to
> this requires having access to (and modifying) the source code.

Yes, that might be bad for the core avalon part.

> Let me know which way you think will fit in the best way for cocoon'ers
> and I can start on that in April.

Cool. Will look forward to it, while documenting myself on the whole JMX
stuff.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino