cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Instrumentation, anyone?
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 17:11:14 GMT
Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:

>>I'm no JMX expert at all, but I understand that basic JMX support can be
>>easily "piggybacked" on existing code, as long as you're basically happy
>>with monitoring and small management tasks: more important needs might
>>require significant changes to the code base, so if I were to draw a
>>plan I would say that we _might_ include some JMX code right now and
>>that we _should_ plan JMX support for 2.2, even if that requires some
>>refactoring. I have the feeling that a complex application like Cocoon
>>really could use some management tools.
>

> I feel your pain. Why don't you take a different direction using AOP
> (avoiding tangling) or even XDoclet to generate the required MBean
> interfaces? (I'm completly ignorant about the license of these tools, I'm
> just want to point that maybe put this support directly in the Cocoon code
> by now couldn't be a good idea.. maybe)

You have a point indeed. While AOP could be a bit too much for the
current codebase, the XDoclet approach might make a lot of sense since
MBeans could be built automagically at compile time. A nasty issue,
actually, could be that some of the most interesting manageable stuff
isn't really under Cocoon control since it belongs to Excalibur, but I
feel that if we could come out with a decent XDoclet based JMX
implementation even Excalibur would be happy to include it.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
     (Blogging at: http://www.rabellino.it/blog/)