cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: workflow block commited
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:12:42 GMT
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>

>> I think these issues have to be address before the next release,
>> together with a minimum docs and a sample.
>>

> agreed
>
>> I expect another release of Cocoon in two or three weeks!
>>
>> Without the above changes, this block doesn't really fit into Cocoon.
>> In fact nothing Cocoon specific is used, so have you considered
>> to "move" the block to a more common place, e.h. jakarta-commons
>> or something like that?
>>

> why don't we move it into the Lenya module and work there on the list
> which was suggested by Carsten?
>
> Cocoon committers also have access to the Lenya module and it seems to
> me that Cocoon committers
> know by now that this block exists ;-)
>
> As soon as we have addressed the issues we can try moving it back into
> the Cocoon module.

I think it should be in the Lenya module, ideally set up to function as
a block, and stay there until there is good reason to move it elsewhere.

If the code is built well, and works well as a block, then I don't see
that it matters too much to a user of the functionality where it is.
However, from a community perspective, the block's most active
maintainers are here on Lenya, and as you can see, to keep it in Cocoon
would require you guys to come over to Cocoon-dev and play a more active
part in the development process there. Now that might happen, but it's
not really there yet.

So, keep it in Lenya.

Hopefully, as time progresses, Lenya will get a Cocoon style block
system, that just extends Cocoon's build system. And with that, you can
have more and more of your stuff as reusable blocks held within Lenya.

I would say, to really get that going, you need to find a way to get a
build process that is more aligned with the Cocoon one.

Regards, Upayavira