cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:48:44 GMT
Hunsberger, Peter wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> writes:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>I have a RT ready for gump that would allow to solve these
>>issues... but
>>I need to work more on this since it appears to be a pretty tough
>>computational problem of graph analysis.
>

> We do have generalized hedge generator code (both in a Cocoon sense and
> in a flat query to data structure sense) that I might be able to get you
> a copy of ;-)...  However, I suspect you need the opposite of what we
> have; something to break down tree structured data into hedges and look
> for intersections (cycles)?

oh, nono, the problem is completely different: when a project doesn't
compile, who's fault is that?

Currently gump has information such as

  (A) --(depends on)--> (B)

the problem with this is that if A breaks, it could be because of B's
fault or because of A's fault, you can't tell.

What I'm going to propose is to have bidimensional dependencies:

  (A,20040302) --(depends on)--> (B,20040212)

At this point, gump can do multiple builds based on the timestamp and it
is possible figure out who broke what and when, in theory point at the
very single commit to blame.

The problem is that the complexity of such trellis grows very big very
quickly. I still have to understand if it's duable at all!

--
Stefano.