cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Momento and Cocoon
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:04:24 GMT
Alan wrote:

> * Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> [2004-03-02 06:07]:

>>I need a fast and scalable xquery-capable semi-structured content
>>repository.
>>
>>Can momento provide me that?
>

>     It could. If I were to release it open source. That's the point.
>     That's why I'm engaging people on this list.

It could seems like a pretty big overestimation without reasonable
technological backup.

At least three research groups spent 10 years and millions of dollars
trying to build an equivalent system. One of them died (Lore) [but the
source code disappeared so I suspect some big DBMS vendor bought the
thing], the other went commercial [Xyleme], the other is still
researching [the people at Bell Labs]

Don't get me wrong: I know the power of open source and I know that you
need to start somewhere, that's why I'm asking.

What I don't understand is how you can use Saxon as a fast and scalable
database since it wasn't designed to do so.

--
Stefano.