cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: Event caching and CachedSource
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:08:52 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

> Unico Hommes wrote:
>
>> Hi gang :-)
>>
>> A drawback I have been running into lately with eventcache mechanism
>> is that it lacks the ability to remove heavy processing from the
>> critical path. An event will simply remove a set of cached pipelines
>> from the cache completely. Making the subsequent request for such a
>> pipeline potentialy very slow. In applications where isolation is not
>> a requirement this is an unnecessary drawback.
>

> Below sounds interesting and good but I haven't understood how event
> cache is related.  AFAICS the only difference with eventcache and the
> other validity types is that for the others an invalid response is
> found in cache, but not used because it is found invalid after
> retrieval, but the event cache removes the entry at invalidation time
> since it knows it will never be useful.  Both cases mean that the next
> person to request that resource will have to wait for the full
> generation.  Maybe because I've only glanced at the refresher stuff?

I guess you are right that at the Cache level nothing really changes. I
overlooked that fact. I will do some more research on what is required
to accomplish that in the case of the Refresher, but my idea was that
the cached response would be served until a newly generated one could
replace the stale one. Since the Refresher talks to the Cache directly,
given the correct Validity strategy it can exercise full control over it.

> Bottom line for me at moment is: do you foresee a need to modify the
> eventcache API to accomodate this need?  I'm getting ready to start a
> discussion on changing the eventcache unstable status -- should I hold
> off?

I don't think my current work will influence the eventcache API
directly. Although I am not sure if
the eventcache stuff can be considered stable enough. I still have some
doubts about the ease of use of parts of it especially the way events
are associated with cached objects. But lets discuss that separately.

>> I am looking at the excellent CachedSource stuff that is in the
>> scratchpad area ATM and am wondering how it fits together with the
>> eventcache stuff. One thing I am looking into right now is to write
>> an EventAware Refresher implementation.
>>
>> For those unfamiliar with CachedSource, it is a Source wrapper that
>> can cache a its delegate. Refreshing can be done either synchronously
>> or asynchronously but currently only based upon a specified time-out.
>> What I'd like to do is generalize this a bit in order to add the
>> ability to  externally trigger invalidation.
>>
>> For this however I think a modification to the Refresher interface is
>> needed.
>

> BTW, how does CachedSource accomplish something different from the
> caching point pipeline (which seems to accomplish more, though I've
> never used it).

I never used it either. So I really don't know. Perhaps someone else
could comment on this?

Cheers,
Unico