cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>
Subject Event caching and CachedSource
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 11:43:30 GMT
Hi gang :-)

A drawback I have been running into lately with eventcache mechanism is
that it lacks the ability to remove heavy processing from the critical
path. An event will simply remove a set of cached pipelines from the
cache completely. Making the subsequent request for such a pipeline
potentialy very slow. In applications where isolation is not a
requirement this is an unnecessary drawback.

I am looking at the excellent CachedSource stuff that is in the
scratchpad area ATM and am wondering how it fits together with the
eventcache stuff. One thing I am looking into right now is to write an
EventAware Refresher implementation.

For those unfamiliar with CachedSource, it is a Source wrapper that can
cache a its delegate. Refreshing can be done either synchronously or
asynchronously but currently only based upon a specified time-out. What
I'd like to do is generalize this a bit in order to add the ability to
externally trigger invalidation.

For this however I think a modification to the Refresher interface is
needed.

Instead of:

Refresher {
  refresh(key,uri,timeout);
  periodicallyRefresh(key,uri,timeout);
}

I'd like to remove timeout semantics from the interface:

Refresher {
  refresh(key,uri,params);
}

I don't think there is currently a reason for there being two the
separate methods. So I think we can safely combine them into one. But I
guess I am looking at Carsten for confirmation... :-)

Cheers,
Unico