cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Momento and Cocoon
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 03:01:12 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 26.02.2004 22:04, Alan wrote:
>
>>> I would guess that Momento mainly would be accessed through the
>>> document function in XSLT and XQuery. Saxon use JAXP 1.1 as external
>>> API to the transformerand the URLs in the document functions are
>>> resolved by using an implementation of
>>> javax.xml.transform.URIResolver that is provided by the TraxTransformer.
>>

>> The above is somewhat confusing for me. Momento does support the
>>     JAXP API. XUpdate is implemented as a SAX filter. It seems like
>>     Momento would work nicely in as a source, sink, or filter for
>>     SAX events.
>>         I've imagined that a pipeline would start with a Momento
>>     document and an XSLT trasform or XQuery query.
>>
>>     Something along these lines:
>>             <map:match pattern="index.html">
>>           <map:generate type="momento" src="momento.mx"
>>                                        xslt="index-document.xslt"/>
>>           <map:transform type="xslt" src="document-to-web.xslt"/>
>>           <map:serialize type="html"/>
>>         </map:match>
>>
>>     (It is easier for me to express myself as a Cocoon user.)
>

> It was already mentioned and I only want to repeat it here: Momento
> should not be implemented as generator, but as source.

I strongly disagree.

XQuery is simply too complex to be passed as one URL. You should have
something like

  <generate type="xquery" src="mystuff.xquery"/>

and remember that that xquery is not XML (xqueryx is but that's just
another syntax and it's also verbose and ugly).

xquery is, in fact, not a query language but a very powerful template
language (even if somewhat bloated, if you ask me), it would replace
jxtemplate or garbage.

I don't know if momento is good enough for what we need, but if we were
to have an xquery processor, a generator is the way to go, not a source.

--
Stefano.