cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Momento and Cocoon
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:47:45 GMT
On 01.03.2004 23:36, Alan wrote:

>>>It was already mentioned and I only want to repeat it here: Momento
>>>should not be implemented as generator, but as source. As Momento
>>>returns also only XML just the file or xml generator should be needed.
>>>Example:
>>
>>You miss the point. Saxon (and in time Xalan) operates directly on
>>    Momento. One uses XSLT or XQuery to build a document from a
>>    potentially HUGE Momento document. The XSLT and XQuery documents
>>    mean that Momento will not even touch parts of the document not
>>    pertiant to the query.
>>
>>    I do not want to generate SAX events and have Cocoon build an in
>>    memory DOM, and then run an XSLT transform. It misses the point.
>

> s/You miss the/I've done poor job of explaining this/
>
>     Didn't sound the way I wanted it to...

No problem, I also can live with the original formulation :) The reason
therefor is simply that I did not follow this thread very closely as I
had to prepare for some exams.

Now, what exactly is Momento? I saw it only as something similar to a
XML database with maybe some special features. When having XIndice in
mind I don't like the idea of having an XSLT or XQuery processor
operating directly on it (separation of concerns). But maybe here I miss
indeed an important point though I see your point with huge document and
memory DOM. You don't need to explain the whole thing again if it was
already said, pointing to a link or a mail in the archives would be
helpful though.

Thanks,

Joerg