cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] - Entry level JSDK 1.4 in Cocoon 2.2
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:03:34 GMT
On 01.03.2004 19:37, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>>> I think that as a software product that is known for its innovative
>>> nature it is *very* important in the interest of Cocoon to refuse
>>> being impaired by the immobility of bureaucracratic organisations. We
>>> are having a small crisis on our hands ATM regarding our persistent
>>> store component and if I was reading Pier correctly he was willing to
>>> dedicate some time towards a solution to this problem.
>>>
>>> One of the main attractions of the jdk 1.4 is its NIO package, and
>>> it's supposed to be a major improvement in Javas IO performance. With
>>> 1.4 being available for - what more than two years? - and 1.5 already
>>> on the horizon it is IMHO the right time to upgrade.
>>

>> Since we don't have a NIO-based implementation of the persistent
>> store, yet, why upgrade now? When we have it, I'll be more than
>> willing to vote +1.
>

> Ugo,
>
> this is chicken-egg problem: nobody is going to implement something on
> 1.4-only API if they aren't sure the community is going to accept it.
>
> We don't have to decide right now, but I think it would be good to give
> the signal "please go ahead and experiment if you think it makes sense,
> we'll judge depending on the advantages".
>
> WDYT?

I'm with Ugo: If there is no need to force the users to 1.4 I'm against
it (e.g. there was an issue about a different exception constructor not
available in 1.3). But if someone provides a really useful 1.4 thing
like the mentioned "NIO-based implementation of the persistent store"
I'm for 1.4 of course.

Joerg