cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] - Entry level JSDK 1.4 in Cocoon 2.2
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:37:30 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Unico Hommes wrote:
>
>> I think that as a software product that is known for its innovative
>> nature it is *very* important in the interest of Cocoon to refuse
>> being impaired by the immobility of bureaucracratic organisations. We
>> are having a small crisis on our hands ATM regarding our persistent
>> store component and if I was reading Pier correctly he was willing to
>> dedicate some time towards a solution to this problem.
>>
>> One of the main attractions of the jdk 1.4 is its NIO package, and
>> it's supposed to be a major improvement in Javas IO performance. With
>> 1.4 being available for - what more than two years? - and 1.5 already
>> on the horizon it is IMHO the right time to upgrade.
>

> Since we don't have a NIO-based implementation of the persistent store,
> yet, why upgrade now? When we have it, I'll be more than willing to vote
> +1.

Ugo,

this is chicken-egg problem: nobody is going to implement something on
1.4-only API if they aren't sure the community is going to accept it.

We don't have to decide right now, but I think it would be good to give
the signal "please go ahead and experiment if you think it makes sense,
we'll judge depending on the advantages".

WDYT?

--
Stefano.