cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon Input Model
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:09:10 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 25 Feb 2004, at 22:53, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> CForms should use typed DOM as "form model"
>>
>> I also believe that making CForms use typed XML as data storage is
>> important. This obviously require some changes, among other things the
>> widget objects need to be split into a control part and a storage
>> part, XML data types need support. I will return with a detailed
>> proposal in the near future (hopefully ;)). I also hope to get some
>> feedback from the people involved in CForms development.
>

> (some parts OT perhaps)
>
> We have quite good experiences exploiting XMLBeans for O/XML mappings in
> the buildup of Daisy - our forthcoming CMS framework. XMLBeans requires
> you to opt for XML Schemas, which provide (some halfway decently form
> of) data typing, and adds a whole lot of flexibility when moving in
> between objects and XML. Maybe we should also try to explore XMLBeans as
> a part of this equation.

I took a look at XMLBeans and it seem to have some attractive
properties, e.g. continuous validation - elments are validated as soon
as they are inserted. In it current incarnation, it lacks IIUC a
standardized interface however, which makes it hard to integrate in the
framework. According to their todo list they plan to give the XMLBeans a
DOM interface as well, and when that is added I think it can be really
usefull for connecting the XML and the Java part of the application.

> Based on gut feeling (as always) however, I'm
> pretty sure that the change in form model from a proper object hierarchy
> towards a generic DOM model will need some strong convincing of the
> Woody dev folks (not including myself into that group). While the idea
> sounds nice, it might be overly generic. IIRC, I also heard Bruno
> muttering about some possible upcoming refactorings w.r.t. caching and
> dynamic form models.
>
> FWIW: Bruno is enjoying Italian snow ATM, and won't be back (and still
> be very busy after that) until next week.
>
> </Steven>

Yes, It will be interesting to hear the CForms developers view on it.

/Daniel