cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/workflow/java/org/apache/lenya/xml
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:28:00 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> As far as I know (from my weak memory :) ) there hasn't been a vote
> at Cocoon about "accepting" this block.

you are right, there wasnt. in the thread on lenya-dev it was opined
that this would not be necessary.

> So, can you please enlighten us (or only me?) about the use of this
> block for Cocoon and why you want to move it here?

when we started this functionality, there was no workflow engine around
that specifically targeted the sane and common 80% of the requirements.
so we wrote our own :) recently, some cocooners showed interest in the
code and making it into a block seemed the right way to make more people
aware of this code base. when andreas designed this workflow code, he
tried to seperate generic workflow functionality from lenya-specific

> But I think we should sometime really start to discuss new blocks,
> otherwise we get burried under too many blocks noone maintains.
> In fact a block is a new subproject that perhaps should go through
> incubation etc.

i think that would be overdoing things a bit. but i agree that a way to
deal with new blocks needs to be found. one goal of lenya is to make
more of its functionality into blocks (revision control?, access
control?, editor integration? etc). whether those should be part of
cocooon or whether lenya should mirror the cocoon block architecture and
have its own is also an interesting question. in any event, breaking it
up in blocks makes lenya easier digestable for interested parties :)

from what i understand, some issues with blocks won't be solved in the
2.1 timeframe, and require 2.2. i wonder what easy steps could be taken
in 2.1?

Gregor J. Rothfuss