cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@digitalinsight.com>
Subject RE: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Co coon's Rhino+continuations fork)
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:24:13 GMT
Lets take this to the extreme.  Pretend that Rhino was a GPL license.  Sure
I could download Rhino and get a running Cocoon.  But I could never sell a
product based on Cocoon unless I make my customers also download Rhino (and
I'm not sure even that would be legal).  Since so many parts of Cocoon want
to leverage Flow these days this would make the situation impossible.

And although Rhino isn't GPL, from what I read of the Mozilla license it
also has the requirement that anything that it is packaged with must also be
under the Mozilla license, which makes it just as bad as the GPL from a
commercial standpoint.

I don't mean to pick on Rhino in particular here, but it is a convenient
example.

Ralph