cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <o...@wlkp.org>
Subject Re: java continuations
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:33:40 GMT
On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 05:11:45PM +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> >I really value all the work and effort that you all put into this,
> >but I would say:
> >
> >[X] nah... put it somewhere else
>
> Uff... a bit discouraging I have to admit.
> Actually I hoped noone would pick that option.
>
> >We only want to have one flow implementation (language), which is
> >Javascript. If we put the Java version as a block in our CVS, it
> >immediately looks like that if we would have two and more implementations
> >or even worse, that the JavaScript implementation was a mistake.
> >And then the confusion about "Which one should I use?", "Which
> >one is better?", "How long is the JavaScript impl. supported?" etc.
> >starts. And I would really like to avoid this.
> >
> > It's ok for me, to evaluate the Java Continuations and decide later
> > which version to support (with a clear migration path if required),
> > so I would prefer to put it somewhere else (sf, cocoondev etc.).
> > If everyone else wants to have it directly in our cocoon cvs then
> > I would prefer the scratchpad block.
>
> Well, for sure we know from our long and winded road to a single
> form framework that too many options are bad ...but since it
> implements all the very same interfaces it feels just like
> a different language. ...like we have different options for xsp.
>From my point of view it would be good to make one flow implementation adviced
but to state that the second one is as well supported.

You have different pros and cons about both implementations. Some users do not
want to use javascrpt because of it's interpreted nature and some political
issues (you cannot make your work closed source if you want to sell it).

Java needs to be compiled, the container restarted for each change, but the
development cycle could shorten when using an advanced java ide (like eclipse)
- so you do not make such great number if stupid typos you cannot predict. It
could be faster than javascript and more attractive to commercial vendors.

Even though commercial issues are the last thing that matters here on this
list it is something that should not be forgotten as if the commerce gets
interest in cocoon it could provide additional resources for the project.

my 2c
	lg
--
            __