cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Larson <...@keow.org>
Subject Re: Less is more... or less? (was Re: v2 forms flowscript example)
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:18:57 GMT
On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:34:22AM +0100, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> >But isn't this our design approach? If I remember correctly our FOM
> >discussions, "less is more", right?
>
> Well, time for a bit of rant on this.
>
> I'm personally not that happy with "less is more" as it was applied to
> FOM. Although I agree that bloated APIs should be avoided, restricting
> the Cocoon core APIs (the environment) in some specific area of Cocoon
> (flowscript) seems to me an arbitrary constraint.

I agree with "less is more" in designing API's, but when we have what
should be *one* API exposed in two environments it should be the *same*
API, modulo environment-specific ease-of-use enhancements.
In short, I think everything that is public in the Java API should also
be directly available in the JS API.  I interpret "less is more" to mean
expose-in-both or expose-in-neither, otherwise we create confusion.

--Tim Larson