cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@STJUDE.ORG>
Subject RE: [Kernel2.2] Comments
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:39:01 GMT
Pier Fumagalli <pier@betaversion.org> writes:

> On 31 Mar 2004, at 21:05, Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
>
> >> I'll need to come up with some block examples soon before being so
> >> misunderstood! :-)
> >
> > Hmm, let me see, multi-version, indirect, proxied class loading. Do
> > you really figure a couple of examples are going to stop you from
> > being misunderstood? ;-)
>
> Yes, I seriously think so...

I was being rhetorical, but if you're samples are as good as the code of
yours that I have seen, then I believe you.

> I come from an assembler background (I started coding on
> ASMx86 when I
> was 9), you know, that nice language where you have 4
> variables called
> "registers" and an array of N bytes where you can even
> rewrite the code
> you're executing if you're not careful enough.

My assembler exposure (many years of OS maintenance) was the IBM 370
(latter 390) variant, more registers, but basically the same kind of
muckity muck with the addition of channel programming; IO that modifies
IO. Fun? Wow...

> The first time someone told me about Java I though: "object-oriented,
> memory-protected, interpreted-but-compiled language, gee I'll
> need more
> than a couple of examples to understand it"...
>
> Hmm, I'm not coding in assembler any more!

Heh! To paraphrase a Fortran truism: real assembler programmers can
program assembler in any language...