cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: [RT] On building on stone
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:08:00 GMT
Jorg Heymans <jh@domek.be> writes:

> > Cocoon needs a rock solid core.
> >
> > Solid in both technical, social and legal way.
> >

> Stefano,
>
> - i am considering cocoon as the basis for a new product in
> the next 3
> months. It will be based on 2.1.x, a possible future core migration
> makes me nervous to say the least. My previous decision last
> year in may
> to use the 2.0.x branch for my project backfired when i now
> see how much
> easier things could have been with flow, woody etc.

Hmm, 2.1.4 and even 2.1.3 are really very stable and very usable.  2.1.5
should clean up forms, but I can't see why you need to worry about what
blocks will bring?

Basically, when Stefano and Pier talk about building for the future with
blocks I think they are talking about a time when Cocoon is a much
bigger and more complex beast than it is now.  We can see the start of
the problem now, so they plan to avoid it in the future.  However,
unless you do a lot of changing configurations for Cocoon this shouldn't
be an issue for you in the short term; once you get a solid
configuration for Cocoon you just keep running with it.

Yes, new features will keep on coming, in the mean time, Cocoon still is
a better way to go than the alternatives.  So, don't hold back, take
advantage of what Cocoon already offers and know that some time in the
future it will be even easier to plug new components in and out (i.e.;
without having to rebuild Cocoon).