cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: Experience with workflow at Hippo Webworks
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:19:55 GMT
Guido Casper <gcasper@s-und-n.de> writes:

> Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
> > For the end user I believe you always have to have modeling
> tools for
> > building work flow, the internal implementation should be
> completely
> > transparent; the first time I wrote GUI modeling tools for
> work flow
> > was 13 years ago (as a subcontractor for one of the major work flow
> > vendors) I don't believe the end user expectations have
> declined since
> > then!
>
> I'm slowly starting to see an unsolvable conflict :-)
>
> Some are looking for a tool for developers and some are looking for a
> tool for users. And I guess we'll be having a hard time
> finding a single
> tool being both.

I probably should have written "For the end user I believe you always
have to have the option of having modeling tools for building work
flow...".  However, even as written originally I don't see a conflict? I
think it's not unreasonable to assume that the modeling tools will be
independent of Cocoon.

What is needed is a way to take the models, where ever they may
originate, and implement them in Cocoon.  I think the only way that's
going to be generally possible is if Cocoon has some form of template
based model (even if it is internally used to generate a script based
implementation via some XSLT).