cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Accepting new blocks
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:06:33 GMT
Le Lundi, 1 mars 2004, à 10:43 Europe/Zurich, Jorg Heymans a écrit :

> ...There was a discussion a few months ago about the need for a
> blocks.cocoondev.org alike site, maybe this is relevant again now? By
> default you would allow all blocks into an incubation phase and do a
> vote on the ones to absorb in the cocoon dist.

I think what would help the most is an easy way to integrate "external
blocks" into Cocoon when building it.

If you look at the installation docs of the Fins block for example
(http://www.sidimar.ipzs.it/fins011/docs/install.html), this is way too
complicated. Nothing against Fins but it shows that integrating blocks
which are not in CVS is a currently..suboptimal.

I don't think it would be very hard to make the blocks system more
configurable, so that external blocks would need only an XML descriptor
to be integrated at compile-time. But someone has to do it.

Of course, Real Blocks will solve this but no one knows when.

-Bertrand