cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] - Entry level JSDK 1.4 in Cocoon 2.2
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:14:23 GMT
On 1 Mar 2004, at 08:33, Ugo Cei wrote:

> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>> Do you agree with JSDK 1.4 as the lower Java version supported in
>> Cocoon 2.2?
>> Here is my +1
>
> -0.5
>
> Even though 1.4 is available for most platforms, and I've been using
> it exclusively for quite a long time, I still think there are many
> environments where people are forced to use 1.3 (not to mention 1.2)
> and upgrading wouldn't be an easy task.
>
> If, and when, we have something that absolutely requires 1.4 (say, a
> new caching system based on NIO, like Pier suggested), we might
> reconsider this requirement. Doing it now would just alienate many
> users without really buying us anything important.
>
> I suggest to repeat this vote when we have a proposed time frame for
> the release of 2.2.

I wanted for someone to pull out a vote on this one (not me) because
I'm going to vote (as Ugo) -0.5 for the REQUIREMENT of Cocoon 2.2 to
operate only on J2SDK >= 1.4.

Ok, don't get me wrong, I am the one who initially said it would be so
cool, but I believe that for 2.2 we have much bigger fishes to fry.

NIO is nice (indeed) for a bunch of things, and as Alan pointed out,
using RegEx in the 2.2 sitemap would be a killer, but IMVHO for this
release we have MUCH BIGGER fishes to fry: blocks and continuations.

Continuations, well, easy... We're still running on a forked JavaScript
interpreter, and personally I don't care much about any other language
:-D

And I started picking back on Avalon and family in the past few weeks
to deploy some stuff, and yeah, it's a nice package, but I still don't
understand the full complexity of why certain approaches (to my mind
counterproductive) were chosen...

IMVHO, 2.2 should be focused on the platform, blocks, compoents,
continuations to a SOLID and STABLE implementation (did Stefano say few
months ago that he felt like we were building sand?). I do feel that
the Cocoon might somehow in some very limited case going off without
solidifying its foundations, and this (2.2) is one good opportunity to
put some solid concrete down there, EVERYWHERE...

A cache based on NIO? Fine, if it's a block, I can swap it in at any
time. RegEx for the sitemap? If matchers are pluggable, it's fairly
easy.

So, IMVHO, yes, 2.2 could be a requirement for some blocks, but someone
(and not me :-) has to shake the foundations, and put some concrete
where we need it...

We'll have components based on 1.4, sure, but if we build our
architecture pluggable enough, well, I don't see how that would impact
people running 1.3.

On 1 Mar 2004, at 18:37, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> We don't have to decide right now, but I think it would be good to
> give the signal "please go ahead and experiment if you think it makes
> sense, we'll judge depending on the advantages".

I'd say, let's keep 1.4 in mind in solidifying the foundations, and
let's grasp those advantages we can get now out of it by deploying a
modular architecture... The strict requirement can come later on, when
we'll have to decouple cocoon from it's Connection/Thread paradigm and
move the network stack away from the blocking model.

	Pier