cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: What can I do?
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:47:57 GMT

Le 29 mars 04, à 16:32, Brian McCallister a écrit :

> On Mar 25, 2004, at 8:57 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>

>> I don't know what kind of energy and time you have, but If you feel
>> like creating a better infrastructure for our docs it'd sure be
>> welcome. Many great ideas have been floating around but it's still
>> stuck at the ideas stage at the moment.
>>

> Well... the docs have good content, and good formatting, and these are
> well seperated, but navigating and finding things is tough...

Same feelings here.

> Probably the hierarchy and flow of the documentation needs to be
> abstracted from the content and look-and-feel. Looking through
> documentation can be modeled as navigating a graph of tangentially
> related elements, and, as Stefano recently pointed out, RDF models
> graphs.

I think even a simple dynamic navigation system based on keywords
("sitemap" "generators" "FileGenerator" etc) and document types
("reference" "tutorial" etc) would be much better than what we have
now.

> Maybe we need a system for handling arbitrary RDF based element graphs
> and building navigational constructs based on the mappings. The
> constructs could be output to XML and formatted somehow into a
> navigable structure (maybe transformed into Perl and presented as a
> windows-help style app). Doing this in a performant manner may require
> static compilation, but I suspect an optimized system allowing dynamic
> compilation of the data can be done -- possibly using a Flower Pot
> metaphor for the design.

But the question is: who will water the flowers then ;-)

> ...If only there were a good tool around designed to abstract the
> content, look and feel, and user interface elements of
> documentation....

Hmm..I might be able to help in selecting a tool...but, similar to the
Flower Pot problem, the question is: who is going to work the tool ;-)

> -Brian (with tongue firmly in cheek)

- Bertrand (similar mood in the second half)