cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <step...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/tools/src/anttasks XConfToolTask.java
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:29:37 GMT
Am Fr, den 12.03.2004 schrieb Joerg Heinicke um 13:30:
> On 12.03.2004 13:01, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> >>I thought that previously all xpatches for all blocks were
> >>executed in one go instead of separately and respecting
> >>dependency order.
> >
> > No, one patch after the other was applied previously. The order
> > of the dependencies was used to define the order of the patches
> > to be applied.
> > So, if the dependencies were correctly set, no problem could occur.
>
> Where do you take this from? From what I see at [1] there was exactly
> one patch-conf target, for the dependencies we would need one target for
> every cocoon block. Or do I miss something?

In the orginal form of the blocks-build.xsl, we had separate targets for
the patch files. But it was incredible slow. Then I merge these targets
to one target, and rewrote to the XConf task to a MatchingTask, which
allow to execute more than one patches.
But it doesn't preserves the dependencies, then Carsten cuts the target
in to several target again, to solve this problem.
Now, with latest change it works again.

I tend to agree with you Joerg, separate targets are much more elegant.
But in the real world I have real problems, like a build time von 4min
25sec on a 2.4GHz Intel system. Which is, by the way, unacceptable,
IMHO.

So, should I revert the change to have a more elegant build file with
bigger build time?! .... ehrmm ... I think not.

Stephan.