cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [RT] On building on stone
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:44:37 GMT

> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
>
> But...
>
> > Is this related to the statefulness of the component?
>
> ... as you correctly spot, the thing is way more tricky than
> it looks at
> first.
>
> The way we solved this was to enable a sort of loose-coupling wiring
> between components. This requires block A to check for the
> wire validity everytime a service is invoqued and, if not, look it up
again
> (obviously the framework will provide helping code for this).

Could also be solved by introducing the notion of component
transactions.
Add a read and write lock to each component wire.
Block A could in effect disable hot-swapping of a component while it is
used (i.e. get a read-lock on the wire), while the hot-swap machinery
tries to get a write-lock on the wire. Thus, the component will
never be swapped when used, and thus the wire-check is unneccessary.

/LS