cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans>
Subject Re: variable substitution in @type attributes
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 15:32:31 GMT
> I'm curious to know how it could be useful compared to how it'll make the
> sitemap unreadable?
<map:match pattern="*.*">
   <map:generate src="{1}.{2}"/>
   <map:transform type="{2}"/>
   <map:serialize type="{2}"/>

is less readable because you don't know which component is executed in
advance. From the sitemap you can't read how the pipeline is built, it
depends on what is passed in.

Ofcourse something like
<map:match pattern="*.[gif,jpeg,svg,video]">

could make us a bit more happy here. But i guess you couldn't enforce
this syntax only if dynamic type attributes are in play- it would have
to be on or off the whole time.

> Nicolas
> Le Mercredi 04 Février 2004 16:18, Jorg Heymans a écrit :
>>Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>>I think one major point is security or more precise: to detect possible
>>>early on. If you now use a wrong type information, which means address a
>>>component that doesn't exist, you get an exception immediately on
>>>startup. So, you know very early that your application is not correct.
>>>With a dynamic type attribute you defer this to a much later point which
>>>be dangerous as well and very hard to find.
>>true. But how is this different from having a custom component that
>>throws an uncaught exception? It just gets passed to the errorhandler
>>and we deal with it there. Or what when your <map:generate
>>src="{1}.{2}"/> points to a non  existing file? That's also a normal
>>error situation we are all familiar with.
>>If pipeline setup happens after the pipeline match then searching
>>components and filling in the "blanks" could be part of this setup
>>(theoretically - i know). Ideally a component-not-found exception here
>>is also caught by the error handler.
>>Just thinking out loud, sorry if i'm oversimplifying.

View raw message