cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans>
Subject Re: variable substitution in @type attributes
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 15:18:50 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> I think one major point is security or more precise: to detect possible
> problems
> early on. If you now use a wrong type information, which means address a
> component that doesn't exist, you get an exception immediately on startup.
> So, you know very early that your application is not correct.
> With a dynamic type attribute you defer this to a much later point which
> might
> be dangerous as well and very hard to find.
true. But how is this different from having a custom component that
throws an uncaught exception? It just gets passed to the errorhandler
and we deal with it there. Or what when your <map:generate
src="{1}.{2}"/> points to a non  existing file? That's also a normal
error situation we are all familiar with.

If pipeline setup happens after the pipeline match then searching
components and filling in the "blanks" could be part of this setup
(theoretically - i know). Ideally a component-not-found exception here
is also caught by the error handler.

Just thinking out loud, sorry if i'm oversimplifying.

View raw message