cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [Portal] Question: Why JSR-168 portlet impl moved?
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:37:02 GMT
DURDINA Michal wrote:

> Thanks for pointing me there.
>
> Inspite of that, my questions remain:
> 1. Why must I be dependent on the whole portal block (jar is
> 330kB and will be more) when I want to implement just one
> JSR-168 portlet using Cocoon and using 3rd party portlet container?

I really understand your concern, but we feel that all JSR 168
related code should go into the same "directory space" and that
is currently the portal block.

Sooner or later, things might change a little bit here and perhaps
the portal block will move to the portals TLP (or not). And perhaps
the portal block will build two jar files, one for the environment
and one for the portal.
But I think these are two different things: where the code is
placed best and what the result of a build is.

I can only try to promise that this will change sometime in the
next weeks/months.

> 2. What was the reason for not moving that code to src/java?

Now, this doesn't belong to the core. Not everyone needs a portlet
environment and as the portlet environment requires the portlet api
as a jar, we want to keep the core clean of that.

HTH
Carsten