cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Goal of the Cocoon TLP
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:48:29 GMT

On 5 Feb 2004, at 06:46, Geoff Howard wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>>> Although it's irrelevant here, I wanted to propose to move the cocoon
>>> portal to the portal TLP as soon as the portal TLP is more concrete.
>> Cool - like that!
>> Yep - other suggestions?
>
> Would there be benefit to keeping it more general: "XML based
> application and publishing framework and applications built on and in
> support of that framework".

Glad to see this moving forward. Thanks, Steven.

I agree with Carsten that moving Cocoon Portal to the future
portal.apache.org makes perfect sense. I would suggest coming up with a
name for it (Cocoon Portal is good as long as you keep it inside)
[please no acroynims, not even recursive ones ;-)]

As for the charter, I agree with Goeff here: we need to keep it general
or we would need the board to change our charter every day.

So, I would:

  1) keep it language neutral: many people dislike java, but they can
leave with it if th application is worth the effort (think lisp and
emacs, for example)

  2) keep it technology neutral (don't say XML/XSLT/SAX/DOM)

  3) aim to identify the achitectural principles (modularity,
composability, separation of concerns, feature reductionism)

I know that we can always has the board to change the charter, and, to
be honest, they don't care much as long as the community behaves well
and cocoon has been a champion on that so they are very easy going with
us.

But the technological landscape might change dramattically in the
future. We might substitute Java for another langauge if Microsoft buys
Sun and kills it. We might move from SAX to something else. We might
declare XSLT too complex. Who knows! Think about flowscript: would you
have thought that javascript would be there side by side with the
sitemap?

Let's not limit ourselves to the technology, that's just an instrument
and moves along with time (and we should *not* be willing to avoid
trying out new technological directions)

On the other hand, Cocoon *does* have an identity and it's because of
its design principles:

  1) composability instead of programmability

  2) enforcing separation of concerns

  3) minimizing overseparation of concerns

  4) less is more, but no less than what you need

I'm perfectly aware of the fact that these might be so broad that the
board might not be happy with it, so I'm willing to get some tradeoffs
and put some names and technology so that we can nail it down on where
we are today, but these are my thoughts.

--
Stefano.