cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject ratification of Cocoon mission statement
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:31:43 GMT
Hi,

there were comments at the time of Cocoon's migration to TLP status
that our mission was self-referencing, so we had a short discussion on
the developers list which resulted in a new mission statement, needing
ratification by the board:

"The Apache Cocoon Community Project fosters community-based
exploration, design and implementation of application frameworks,
specifically but not exclusively web-related. It focuses on XML
pipelining, centralized configuration mechanisms and separation of
concerns through composability rather than programmability, by
combining and extending existing Apache and other open source
libraries. It hosts application development frameworks, applications
built on these frameworks, and development tools built for these
frameworks and applications."

The reservation w.r.t. making our mission "web application
development-only", suggested by making "non-web-exclusiveness" explicit
in our mission statement is because Cocoon is designed to be largely
context-independent, and that, apart from the obvious Servlet
incantation, there also exists a Bean variant, a CLI interface, and it
can also be hosted in a JSR168 Portlet container.

In case this statement meets the requirements of the board, please
include it into the next board meeting agenda for ratification.

Thanks!

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org