cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon Input Model
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:34:04 GMT
On 25 Feb 2004, at 22:53, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> CForms should use typed DOM as "form model"
>
> I also believe that making CForms use typed XML as data storage is
> important. This obviously require some changes, among other things the
> widget objects need to be split into a control part and a storage
> part, XML data types need support. I will return with a detailed
> proposal in the near future (hopefully ;)). I also hope to get some
> feedback from the people involved in CForms development.

(some parts OT perhaps)

We have quite good experiences exploiting XMLBeans for O/XML mappings
in the buildup of Daisy - our forthcoming CMS framework. XMLBeans
requires you to opt for XML Schemas, which provide (some halfway
decently form of) data typing, and adds a whole lot of flexibility when
moving in between objects and XML. Maybe we should also try to explore
XMLBeans as a part of this equation. Based on gut feeling (as always)
however, I'm pretty sure that the change in form model from a proper
object hierarchy towards a generic DOM model will need some strong
convincing of the Woody dev folks (not including myself into that
group). While the idea sounds nice, it might be overly generic. IIRC, I
also heard Bruno muttering about some possible upcoming refactorings
w.r.t. caching and dynamic form models.

FWIW: Bruno is enjoying Italian snow ATM, and won't be back (and still
be very busy after that) until next week.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org