cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Of One-man Efforts and the like
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:39:52 GMT
On 20 Feb 2004, at 18:52, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

> > FWIW: I think we should actively weed out one-man-effort
> dependencies.
> > People have the freedom to change their mind, but we shouldn't be a
> > victim of that.

See Stefano's last remark: we are actively pursuing project stability
by making sure Cocoon has a serious legal foundation, and by choosing
"sound" dependencies. This choice can be based on both technical or
community criteria, and hopefully on both at the same time. So yes, we
have been debating dependencies quite a lot lately, and you should see
my quote in this context: we got bitten by this before, and it hurts.
You didn't bite us yet, but we see your teeth. ;-)

> As I stated before, I'm willing to provide Apache with a specific
> license if it makes everyone's life easier.

As you obviously see now, it ain't that simple. We need to care about
"the users of our users" as well.

Now about your pertinent question on "community", you should go and
inquire the incubating ASF projects. If a company like BEA still sees
additional marketing value by incubating a project at Apache and not
going open source on their own, I'm utterly convinced that single-man
projects can reap lots of exposure by trying to join the ASF
(http://incubator.apache.org/)

I've helped the BEA peeps with XMLBeans, and I'm happy to help any
other viable project. But the burden of the work wil be on your side -
and potential benefit will be related to that.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org