cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Goal of the Cocoon TLP
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 10:24:38 GMT
Howdie,

when establishing the Cocoon TLP with the ASF board, we received the
comment that the then-submitted mission statement of the Cocoon TLP was
self-referencing or recursive, i.e. the Cocoon TLP had as a goal the
prosperity of the Cocoon project, with "Cocoon" not being properly
defined as a tangible goal on its own. So if the Cocoon community would
decide now to start developing a J2EE container (godforbid), we would
be allowed to by our mission statement.

I'd like to submit a better mission statement for the upcoming board
meeting, keeping in mind future subprojects like Lenya and Forrest (or
blocks being spun off as subprojects such as the portal). Looking at
what differentiates us from other technologies and frameworks, I feel
we should include notions as:

- Java-based (or do we want our mission statement to be
technology-neutral?)
- XML/SAX-based pipelines
- the sitemap as a centralized request handling configuration mechanism
through decoupling of URI space with request response construction
- different runtime environments (Servlet/CLI/Portlet)
- technical frameworks such as continuation-based flow control, form
handling, templating transformers
- functional frameworks such as the portal, linotype
- applications based on top of all this such as Lenya & Forrest

I'll try to wordsmith this into a short mission statement, but I'd like
to hear whether this categorization makes sense to you.

Cheers,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org