cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <Conal.Tu...@vuw.ac.nz>
Subject @author tags (WAS: RE: ASF Board Summary for February 18, 2004)
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:45:40 GMT
I agree with Antonio about the utility of @author tags (I have also found them very useful),
and I also think that the ASF board's concerns about the dangers of "ownership" are probably
overblown.

I don't think the ASF should discourage developers from keeping useful metadata about the
code inside the source files. What better place to put the metadata than in the code? This
makes it more likely to be used and kept up to date than if it was stored somewhere else,
IMHO.

I don't agree with the idea that banning author tags would make the "changes" file more useful
because it would encourage developers to keep it up to date. On the contrary, I think people
are encouraged when you make things easy; I don't think requiring people to do things the
hard way constitutes "encouragement". :-)

If the board insists then ... OK ... but if the board only "discourages" the use of @author
tags on the grounds that they COULD cause problems, then I think Cocoon should note their
concern but keep the @author tags because in THIS CASE they have NOT caused problems.

Just my 2c.

Con