cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "DURDINA Michal" <Michal.Durd...@assetsoft.sk>
Subject [Portal] Question: Why JSR-168 portlet impl moved?
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:57:54 GMT
Hi,
I am curious why Carsten moved portlet implementation from scratchpad to portal block... I
thought JSR-168 portlet implementation would go to core.

I think that CocoonPortlet (JSR-168 portlet implementation) and portal block are two different
things.

CocoonPortlet makes cocoon applications work under portlet container (i.e. Jakarta Pluto).

Portal block IS a portlet container (Portal Engine makes environment for coplets and portlets).

So I don't see the reason why to mix these two.

Why must I be dependent on the whole portal block (jar is 330kB and will be more) when I want
to implement just one JSR-168 portlet using cocoon? I supposed that JSR-168 portlet implementation
would go to core, where other env implementations are (Servlet and CLI). What was the reason
for not doing so?

Thanks,
Michal

BTW: Tiny patch for CocoonPortal.java is now in Bugzilla #27188