cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject XML-Relational Mapping (Was: USQL)
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:06:16 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

>It would be very cool if we could provide something that helps with flow
>applications. I like the combination of OR-Mapping/CForms/Flow but this
>is for many beginners overkill. They shouldn't be forced to write Java
>code e.g. in order to implement a simple register form.
>
>--
>Reinhard

I think it is overkill for many non beginners as well ;)

I am currently looking at XML-DBMS 2.0,
http://www.rpbourret.com/xmldbms/index.htm, which is an XML/relational
mapping tool. The main idea is that you describe the mapping between XML
and the relational db in a mapping file, then you can use the mapping
tool to both store the XML document in the db and retrive XML from the
db. The detailed storing strategy - using overwrite or update etc can be
fine tuned in another configuration file. And the retrieving behaviour
can fine tuned with a filter file.

XML-DBMS is intended for data centric rather than document centric
applications and provide a rather flexible mapping between one XML
document and a number of tables. It also contains a tool for generating
maping files from DTD:s and, IIUC, from db meta data. It can also
generate create table statements from the maping file.

I think XML_DBMS look rather promissing, and I have not found any other
packages that dom direct XML relational mapping, all other seem to
require Java objects in the middle. Anyone that know about any simmilar
packages?

Possible drawbacks are that the community is very small, and that the
packaging is not that good: no ant script. The documentation is good
however, Ronald Bourret, the main author have written a number of
articles about XML mappings.

 The licence is: "XML-DBMS, along with its source code, is freely
available for use in both commercial and non-commercial settings. It is
not copyrighted and has *absolutely no warranty*. Use it as you will."

Given that XML-DBMS holds what it promise, I will try to build an block
around it. My idea is to use XML-DBMS from flowscripts, so the best way
to integrate it would probably be to write some component, like
pipelineUtil around XML-DBMS. An SQLToXMLTransformer XMLToSQLTransformer
pair would also be a possibility.

Others interested in such a block? Opinions?

/Daniel