cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Momento and Cocoon [was Re: Jisp 3.0 moved to GPL licence]
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:35:56 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> [changing subject...]
>
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> From: Alan
>>
>>> * Geoff Howard <cocoon@leverageweb.com> [2004-02-22 18:47]:

>>> memory overhead

>>> start...  (hint

>>> Working on it. As noted, I have JAXP implemented and SAX interface
>>>    to XUpdate. I have APIs. I am going to start working on services
>>>    next.

JAXP... see below....

>>>       A Cocoon generator that takes a Momento data source and an XSLT
>>>    transform would be a start.
>>>
>>>    I'm not sure how to get information into Momento via Cocoon. I'm
>>>    thinking about some sort of Woody binding, but that goes beyond
>>>    my current understanding of Cocoon.
>>>

>> speaking without following this thread closly: What about
>> implementing a Momento source?

I starting to wonder if I'm being dense... wouldn't the easiest first
test integratin be to use Memento as the JAXP xslt processor to reduce
memory overhead on transformations of large data sets?  Maybe I've
misunderstood where/what momento is as a project?   The jaxp processor
is declared in cocoon.xconf  (see instructions for switching to saxon
for example).

> Yup. Alan, take a look at the XMLDBSource and XMLDBSourceFactory. I
> think you'll find them reasonably similar to what you might want to do
> (in src/blocks/xmldb/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/source/impl)
>
> If you implemented a MomentoSource, and made it implement
> ModifiableSource, then you would be able to read/write from within
> Cocoon. With this, you would be able to use Woody's binding
> functionality to bind forms directly to Momento data.
>
> You could also do something like the XMLDBTransformer to allow updates
> (src/blocks/xmldb/java/org/apache/cocoon/transformation/XMLDBTransformer.java).
>

> [NB. with an XML:DB interface to Momento, you wouldn't need to do
> anything to interface to Cocoon].

These are also good ideas for the write aspect, but I see benefit in the
read aspect if I understood correctly.

Geoff