cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [RT] rethinking the cache storage system
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:38:57 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Lundi, 23 fév 2004, à 17:20 Europe/Zurich, Scott Robert Ladd a écrit :
>
>> ...When I've written cache system, I've always used the file system
>> directly. The only catch is that some operating systems limit the
>> number of files on disk or in a directory; a very active server could
>> hit those limits using individual files....
>

> And on certain filesystems, lookups from filenames to files can be
> slow if there are many files in the same directory.
>
> If we go for direct filesystem storage (which I think should be
> perfectly ok to implement a Store), I think we need a clever mapping
> scheme to avoid having more than N files in the same directory.

One more issue: our cache keys are too long for a file system.

BTW, tests of Xindice BTreeFiler (stores everything in one file) and
FSFiler (stores everything in file system) show that filesystem is *way*
slower:
    http://nagoya.apache.org/~vadim/xindice/tests/

Please take a look at the execution time.

Vadim