cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Robert Ladd <coy...@coyotegulch.com>
Subject Re: [RT] rethinking the cache storage system
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:20:53 GMT
Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
>>I think that a better use of the file system would yield much more
>>performance, since JVM IO is pretty much optimized for file access
>>anyway (and uses OS-level caching).
>
> Makes sense to me: from what I understand of the issue the store is
> (mostly?) not updatable (you either do a write or a read)?  If so you
> don't need a database; file systems are actually very efficient for that
> kind of thing...

I don't understand why you're using Jisp, either. It would seemt o be
very slow for your needs, forcing things to be serialized in and out of
a datastore.

When I've written cache system, I've always used the file system
directly. The only catch is that some operating systems limit the number
of files on disk or in a directory; a very active server could hit those
limits using individual files.

..Scott

--
Scott Robert Ladd