cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] rethinking the cache storage system
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:47:09 GMT
We were using Jisp and Scott's decision makes it clear that we either:

  - have to maintain Jisp 2.x ourselves

or

  - use something else

Here I would like to ask you a much easier question: do we really need
it? can't we just our storage into a bunch directories and use that as a
file system? that works very well for file-intensive setups like mail
client/servers and browser caches, why shouldn't it work for us?

My gut feelins is that having such a critical piece of our
infrastructure so away from the metal is actually hurting us, both
performance and complexity wise.

I would love to use BerkeleyDB, but it's native, incompatibly licensed
and has terrible Java APIs. And all the problems of binary stores: you
can't see inside from your shell!

I think that a better use of the file system would yield much more
performance, since JVM IO is pretty much optimized for file access
anyway (and uses OS-level caching).

thoughts?

--
Stefano.