cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Momento and Cocoon [was Re: Jisp 3.0 moved to GPL licence]
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:16:28 GMT
[changing subject...]

Reinhard Poetz wrote:

>From: Alan
>

>>* Geoff Howard <cocoon@leverageweb.com> [2004-02-22 18:47]:

>>>Still, I think finding a way to use momento to reduce
>>>

>>memory overhead
>>

>>>in
>>>working with large xml datasets has great potential.  No one really
>>>knows how great, but a demo/sample using it would be a
>>>

>>start...  (hint
>>

>>>hint :)  )
>>>

>>Working on it. As noted, I have JAXP implemented and SAX interface
>>    to XUpdate. I have APIs. I am going to start working on services
>>    next.
>>
>>    A Cocoon generator that takes a Momento data source and an XSLT
>>    transform would be a start.
>>
>>    I'm not sure how to get information into Momento via Cocoon. I'm
>>    thinking about some sort of Woody binding, but that goes beyond
>>    my current understanding of Cocoon.
>>

>speaking without following this thread closly:
>What about implementing a Momento source?

Yup. Alan, take a look at the XMLDBSource and XMLDBSourceFactory. I
think you'll find them reasonably similar to what you might want to do
(in src/blocks/xmldb/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/source/impl)

If you implemented a MomentoSource, and made it implement
ModifiableSource, then you would be able to read/write from within
Cocoon. With this, you would be able to use Woody's binding
functionality to bind forms directly to Momento data.

You could also do something like the XMLDBTransformer to allow updates
(src/blocks/xmldb/java/org/apache/cocoon/transformation/XMLDBTransformer.java).

[NB. with an XML:DB interface to Momento, you wouldn't need to do
anything to interface to Cocoon].

Hope this helps.

Regards, Upayavira