cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Java continuations with joeq
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:48:37 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Samedi, 21 fév 2004, à 17:13 Europe/Zurich, Christopher Oliver a
> écrit :
>
>> ...I did some informal tests and it appears to actually be slower
>> than interpreted Rhino (not sure exactly why, perhaps because Rhino
>> bytecodes are higher level), but was significantly faster than
>> BeanShell (which  is a Java source code interpreter).
>

> Is it a lot slower, do you think it would make a significant difference?

My opinion: probably not. However, I just thought of another drawback
with using Joeq's interpreter, namely you wouldn't be able to debug it
with a standard Java debugger. The Brakes-like approach doesn't have
this limitation. In addition, since that approach simply modifies the
bytecode it would still be optimized by Hotspot and would still
outperform any scripting language. Torsten, what's the status of your
work on this?

Chris