cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [FYI] Cocoon reviewed in RLG DigiNews February 2004 Issue
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:46:07 GMT
My boss forwared this to me today:

http://www.rlg.org/preserv/diginews/diginews8-1.html#hws

A little context:

<quote>
RLG is a not-for-profit membership corporation of over 160 universities,
national libraries, archives, historical societies, and other
institutions with remarkable collections for research and learning.
Rooted in collaborative work that addresses members' shared goals for
these collections, RLG develops and operates information resources used
by members and nonmembers around the world.

Founded in 1974 and incorporated in 1975 by Columbia, Harvard, and Yale
Universities and The New York Public Library, RLG was conceived to help
achieve the economies and power of service that come from pooling
resources, expertise, and operations. The organization became a pioneer
in developing cooperative solutions to the problems that research
collections and their users face in the acquisition, delivery, and
preservation of information.
</quote>

There is a clear perception of very *strong* convergence in the world of
digital libraries toward Cocoon because the philosophy of separation of
concern is something that all librarians resonate with (unlike the
centralized, self-publishing orientation of the old web, that was done
exactly to route around centralized libraries).

For the digital libraries oriented people on this list, I can tell you
that DSpace 2.0 will be using cocoon as the presentation layer. The
shape of the 2.0 architecture is not yet defined, but a few ideas were
fixed and the use of cocoon was one of them (apparently, lots of people
asked them for this!)

MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW) is very interested in Cocoon/Lenya, both for
publishing and for content management.

MIT MetaMedia is already based on Cocoon even if they don't say so [it
was a surprise for me as well!] (see metaphor.mit.edu)

And this has nothing to do with my presence here, since these decisions
were already taken before I arrived.

This said, everybody here is very excited about my presence because that
glues the pieces together, so expect acceleration in the cocoon adoption
at MIT.

Ah, for the MIT people on this list, I'll be giving a Cocoon Walkthrough
on March 8th for the Digital Libraries Research Group and other
interested parties (like OCW) If you want to be invited, let me know
privately.

Thanks.

--
Stefano.